Sunday, January 30, 2005

What would you do if you won the lottery?

Last night, Dave and I were talking about various large purchases that we will make in the relatively near future (house, car, etc.) and of course, we concluded that in order to actually get what we want, we'd have to win the lottery. He asked me what I would do with my life if I never had to work, and could do anything I wanted.

My answer would be to do exactly what I'm doing now. I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my life. A future without medicine, without research, is not at all appealing to me. Having money would of course make things easier (I could get a housekeeper so that doing normal chores doesn't put me a day behind in studying, a personal trainer to force me to work out, and a chef to make sure I eat decent food). I think that, despite my struggles with school right now, and the fact that I don't exactly love the first year of school, I would definitely continue. I know that even though I will be in school until I'm 30, the end result will certainly justify all of the work I put into it. And I can't see myself happy doing anything else with my life. I'm glad I feel this way, because I couldn't imagine devoting so much of my life to something that I could just give up if a lot of good fortune rolled my way.

One thing I know for sure though, is that if we win the lottery, I will certainly take much better vacations. The nonstop pace of school has been incredibly draining. I miss the MIT philosophy of having at least one day off a month for holidays and such, and devoting the month of january to independent study. It made it so much easier to stay focused, and to get everything done without neglecting things like laundry and real food.

Speaking of laundry, its time to switch loads!