Monday, February 28, 2005

Suggestions for medical education from retired doc

Retired Doc has made his first suggestion for improving medical education

Teach medical students basic economics. I will readily admit that I know very little about economics and economic theory. Hell, I don't know much about basic finance (luckily, I know someone who does who patiently answers all my questions.) As the practice of medicine becomes more and more influenced by politics and economic policy, we should all be striving to be educated in these things.

But of course, there is one pesky problem. Where do you fit it in? So many important topics are already left for self study or even ignored completely in our formal training. The motivated (and interested) student will find time to teach herself economic theory instead of watching tv or doing something else, but everyone else will leave economics up to someone else.